INDIANAPOLIS — Before Santa Claus could visit Indiana, the
2013 Hoosier Beef Congress took over the Indiana State Fairgrounds, displaying
the state’s top beef steers and heifers.
Jennifer Biesecker, the executive assistant and special
events coordinator for the Indiana Beef Cattle Association, noted that this year
the annual cattle show had a little more than 1,500 head checked in, which was
up slightly from last year.
For the first time in the event’s history, those who were
not able to attend beef congress in person could tune into DVAuction, and watch
live streaming of the show.
“Working with DVAuction is really great,” Biesecker said,
adding that the partnership will be a good thing for many years to come.
The top five beef heifers were:
* Supreme Champion Heifer — Shorthorn, Allison Nichols,
* Reserve Supreme Heifer — Commercial, Adrianne Trennepohl,
* Third overall heifer — Angus, Leslie Rogers,
* Fourth overall heifer — Hereford, Devin Hay, Leesburg;
* Fifth overall heifer — Commercial, Becca Chamberlin,
The top five beef steers were:
* Grand Champion Steer — Charolais, Bailey Rist,
* Reserve Champion Steer — Crossbred, Chloe Martin,
* Third overall steer — Maine Anjou, Harper Henney,
* Fourth overall steer — Chianina, Robert Rogers,
* Fifth overall steer — Crossbred, Seth Martin,
“I want to thank all the beef cattle enthusiasts and allied
industry partners who help to make this a very special event each year,” said
Joe Moore, executive vice president of the association.